Posted by: rdkpickle | 06.30.2013

two percent

Tom: Why so glum, sugarplum?

April: Um, I don’t know, maybe because I worked so hard on that dumb pet adoption and I failed? That’s why it’s stupid to work hard.

Tom: Let me show you something. Because you worked hard, this little terribly dressed girl has a puppy, and this little puppy has a home. Now if Leslie’s taught me anything, it’s that yes, 98% of the time this job is frustrating and you hit brick walls. But – the other 2%? It’s stuff like this kid.

stuff like this kid

(Parks and Recreation: Season 4, Episode 19 “Live Ammo”)

Today I read through all of my posts on the one good thing blog, and it reminded me of the other two percent.


Responses

  1. Yep. Thanks for the reminder.

    While all this MTBoS introspection is going on, the “what are we doing” and “inclusiveness” seems to be backfiring (a little) and I feel worse about what I’m (not) doing.

    • I think it might be natural to feel that way – I find myself having the same thoughts. But I’m trying to figure out if it’s ego or altruism (like, am I frustrated because I wish I had a larger voice in the community, or because I only contribute to this community in ways that suit me and should be more giving?)

      At the end of the day, I think we do what we can to grow as educators while trying to maintain a sense of balance and happiness in our lives. A lot of times (for me at least) this means unplugging the computer. That’s okay.

      Please know that what you do does help and matter. More than anything else, individual connection and support (which you are a pro at giving, David) kept me coming back to twitter this year. I imagine as I reenergize and start a new job in a new city, my interaction with this group will continue to evolve. So will yours – year 2 in st lou! :)

      I conclude this response with a vehement proclamation: YOU ARE AWESOME :)

  2. So good! Thanks!

  3. And now: http://sherryndaniel.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/treat-to-self-2.jpg


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 47 other followers

%d bloggers like this: